chickie4

Joyee Flynn
Nicholi's Vengeance
J.A. Jaken

Dead Hunter

Dead Hunter - Lizzie T. Leaf I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Now, I already reviewed the second book in the series (look under DEAD Faint). I would recommend reading it first since I do talk about it here and I’m not going to add what I’ve already written to this review.

I loved this book! So far, most of the focus has been on vampires, but now demons and hunters enter the equation. I liked getting to learn more and meeting some villains that will definitely help this series along.

As for the characters, I liked ArieAnne. She was an okay character for me. I did like getting to see a kickass female hunter, but for some reason, I just didn’t click with her. Same with Jonas. Part of it I think is tied into a complaint I had about the previous book that carried over into this one. I do like seeing previous couples, but at times the story focused more on the secondary characters than the main ones. As I said before, just like a bride being upstaged by a bridesmaid, it's not supposed to happen. I do like that the author included these previous characters; I just think she did it a bit too much. I think if she’d focused more on Arie and Jonas, it would have helped me connect better with the characters.

However, I did like the amount of action this time. Unlike the previous book, it wasn’t all over the place. There are more details and I got the feeling that everything is happening for a reason, even if it’s not yet obvious. I liked the evil preparing to take over the world storyline, which is going to continue on in future books supposedly. I liked how the author established this continuity that will help tie the books together more in the future.

Also, I’ve noticed something that’s been nagging at me since the last book. While there are romances in all the books, the focus doesn’t seem to be on the romance. I would classify these books as thrillers or adventure books over romances. I do like having more than just the romance, but as time goes on, I’m starting to care less about the romantic outcomes and more about the fight for survival against evil.

Anyways, I would definitely recommend reading this series and yes, you do need to read it in order so that it makes sense.