chickie4

Nicholi's Vengeance
J.A. Jaken

Power Play: Resistance

Power Play: Resistance - Rachel Haimowitz, Cat Grant 3.5 stars

So, yes I got the warnings and I still read the book and I did enjoy it. The only parts I had a problem with was the overuse of torture. Yes, one of the main characters is a sadist. But the other wasn't a masochist and didn't enjoy pain. I know this book was setting up for a second book, but still. I would have felt better if Bran actually wanted the pain, but he doesn't. I had a hard time reading parts of this book because I just kept thinking, why the hell is this happening? He's torturing him to get him to leave? Just throw him out! Break the contract and pay him! Talk to him even when he's cursing you and find out why he's giving you so much trouble! I get that the angsty build up was part of the story, but still. I had trouble seeing Jon as a true Dom in parts of this book just because of the way he handled things. Now, the second book sounds much better and I can't wait to read it, to see how the characters grow and the resolution to their problems. And I did enjoy this book and there were some hot scenes, but the overuse of torture turned me off. So, for that reason, I give this book a 3.5.

I would only recommend this book to hardcore BDSM fans. If you don't like BDSM or only like light scenes, this book isn't for you. If you're willing to risk it and try something different, more power to you, go for it. Just be warned.