chickie4

Joyee Flynn
Nicholi's Vengeance
J.A. Jaken

Orlin's Fall

Orlin's Fall - Amber Kell I love this series. I love the idea of it, the new universe, love, love, love it. That being said, these books need to be longer. As I wrote on my review of the first book, the story suffers due to its shorter length. So much happens in so little time that I feel disconnected from the story. I feel like I got just the bare bones of the story, not the fleshed out version I wanted. There are all these conspiracies and plot twists and by the end of the book, I was left feeling lost, like I missed a few chapters. The characters were barely fleshed out and seemed more one-dimensional to me and by the end of the book, I was wondering; why does all this happen? Is there a point to this? It started feeling like the author was only throwing in gratuitous scenes and adventures to make the book seem cooler. Big stuff that seemed like a huge obstacle? Resolved in 4 or 5 pages. Big conspiracy? We find the leader and imprison him and that solves everything.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Amber Kell and her books, but I felt like this one wasn't up to par with others. And if she did like what she did with the Moon Pack series, where each book has a new couple but still mentions previous couples and has a running problem/solution, maybe it would work better. But even then, this series isn't entirely set up to work like that. I would love to see her expand this book and take more time to set scenes up and to resolve them. I wish we could get a better look at the characters, their back stories, how they think, etc. This book could have been a 4 or 5 star book but it didn't deliver. I hope that the third book is better because I do love this series. It's innovative, different, and fun. I would recommend this to anyone who thinks they would like it or to any Amber fans because while it's not the best, it's still a fun short read.