chickie4

Nicholi's Vengeance
J.A. Jaken

Mickey's Duke

Mickey's Duke - Vicktor Alexander 3.5 stars

I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I didn't check the page count when I bought it, so I was surprised at how short it was. The book skipped through time and you'd go from first meeting to three months later. I disliked the lack of world building. I didn't learn much about Mickey's people, the planet of Wilgrin, or the whole universe except for the bare basics. I also thought the ending wasn't as believable. Just the way it was wrapped up was a bit ridiculous. And the Duke is an idiot for most of the book. I mean come on, a blind monkey could tell how much Carl hated Mickey, yet the Duke just blows it off and thinks everything's fine? And then puts his child and husband at risk like that? Ridiculous. And what about Mickey's family? If the Duke is so powerful, couldn't he punish Mickey's family? And wouldn't he want to punish the people who harmed Mickey? Maybe there will be a second book where this will be resolved, but to mention it and then ignore it is like telling a dog you've got a bone for them and then you don't deliver.

However, the book's saving grace for me was with the mpreg. I enjoy reading mpreg novels, but a big problem in a lot of mpregs is that the mpreg is glossed over. I know it's considered a more controversial/less accepted concept, but come on. If you're going to include it, you need to include it in the story, not just a mention and then, "nine months later..." I like a story where you see the characters throughout the pregnancy and even afterwards and that is what happens in this book. In fact, the mpreg is a big part of the story, which made it even better for me. So that's what kept the story from being a 3.

All in all, I did enjoy this book, but I wished it had been longer and more detailed. Parts of it were glossed over and should have been expanded. There is a possibility for a sequel (which I'm hoping for), and I'd love to see more of this world.