chickie4

Two Fangs And A Hoof
Joyee Flynn
Nicholi's Vengeance
J.A. Jaken

Temptation in Tartan (Kilburn Vampires, #1)

Temptation in Tartan (Kilburn Vampires, #1) - Suz deMello 3.5 stars

I enjoyed this story. Suz is a new author to me and so I had no idea what to expect going in to this book. I was pleasantly surprised by this story. I'm not usually a fan of historical romances this far back in time (18th century), but I liked this one. It was fun, exciting, and never slowed down. So why the lower rating? I had a few problems with this book that limited my enjoyment.

My two biggest problems were the multiple points of view and the various ongoing plots. At points I felt like I was reading multiple stories.  There were over 8 different points of view and while it partially worked here, it was also extremely disorienting. The story jumped around so much between different characters and that would have been okay if it weren't for all the various plots going on. All these different characters all plotting, whether it be revenge, sex, murder, seduction, or survival, so much was going on that it became a bit ridiculous. And the most ridiculous part of the plots were the conclusions. I mean, an entire problematic clan gets taken out by one vamp? And then the heir accepts an offer to be raised by the man who killed his father and the clan that destroyed his? It's too tidily wrapped up in a pretty pink bow. All of it. And while I like happy endings, I also like them to be worked for.

Also, another problem I had is the whole vampire thing. The book is categorized as having vamps and I was told it was a vampire book. And yet there's only one character called a vampire. And at the end of the book, I'm still trying to figure out if they are vamps or not. I mean, they drink blood and some live long lives. I'm still confused by the whole ending and the vamp debate throughout the book. And the ending does leave some questions unanswered, so I'm hoping that means there will be a sequel because, despite all my complaints, I enjoyed this story.

I would recommend this story to anyone who likes sexy Scots or historical romances. And even if you're not a huge fan of them like me, give it a read. You might be surprised at how much you like it.